Ceramium shuttleworthianum (Kützing) Rabenhorst
Pigga rekeklo in Norwegian Nynorsk
Pigget rekeklo in Norwegian Bokmål
The species Ceramium shuttleworthianum belongs to:
Photos of Ceramium shuttleworthianum (5):
1 of 5: Thallus
Note: The species is commonly growing as 2-5 cm turfs in the lower intertidal zone at wave exposed sites from Lindesnes and northwards to the County of Troms. This is probably the only spiny Ceramium species in Norway.
2 of 5: Branches with inrolled apices.
3 of 5: Apex with triangular spines usually developing singly on the outside of the branches.
4 of 5: Characteristic spine where the base is multicellular and merging into the cortical band.
Note: The occurrence of other spiny Ceramium species in Norway is uncertain, but the species can be separated from each other by the shape of the spines. Ceramium echinotum has needle-shaped spines consisting of one single cell. Ceramium ciliatum has 3-celled non-pigmented spines with an elongated basal cell.
5 of 5: Cortication at nodes in middle part of axis.
Other species in the same genus (Ceramium):
- Ceramium arborescens J. Agardh
- Ceramium areschougii Kylin
- Ceramium botryocarpum A. W. Griffiths ex Harvey
- Ceramium cimbricum H. E. Petersen
- Ceramium deslongchampsii Chauvin (5)
- Ceramium diaphanum (Lightfoot) Roth (6)
- Ceramium pallidum (Kützing) Maggs & Hommersand
- Ceramium secundatum Lyngbye
- Ceramium siliquosum (Kützing) Maggs & Hommersand
- Ceramium sungminbooi J. R. Hughey & G. H. Boo
- Ceramium tenuicorne (Kützing) Wærn
- Ceramium virgatum Roth